If you know me and Dave you’ll know that we always like to have a project on the go … and this time we have taken on a beast. We bought the house about 9 years ago and have done loads to it over the years altering rooms, decorating, replacing fixtures, knocking walls down etc, as our family needs change. I also love my “before & after” pictures as seen in a couple of my previous DIY posts.
Two and a half weeks ago we started a 16 week project to extend the back of the house, including a 2 story extension (which will include reconfiguring the kids bedrooms and their den, as well as extending the dining room and kitchen. Here’s a few pictures of the major stages.
The Before … You can see the markings on the wall where we took the conservatory down 2 years ago
This was the start as the patio came up
We’ve had a couple of issues so far with the build, one being access and neighbours, or you could say neighbours and access .. meaning that the builders had to use smaller machinery to dig the foundations. Then the next issue was the depth that the foundations needed to go down to, so we are a few days behind schedule and over budget at this stage but we’re hoping it can be caught up and money will be saved elsewhere.
After all that digging, and because they had to dig so deep we were also getting the side walls collapsing, it was a welcome sight when the concrete truck arrived early in the morning. Here’s the lovely expensive concrete moat.
This is the triumphant day we got out of the ground. Onwards and upwards!
Then yesterday they took off the large bay and boarded it up inside so that they can then focus on brickwork for the next couple of weeks.